Hi, Dan Sheehan from Social Merlin back again for another Marketing Minute. Today’s Topic: “The 5 Best Adjustments Financial Advisors Can Make Today!”
The novel coronavirus or COVID –19 has wreaked havoc with world economies. Governments around the globe are trying to support individuals, companies, and industries. Many private and corporate benefactors have also stepped up to the colossal task, and we are grateful to them all. Considering what the world is reeling from, financial advisors are asking for advice on whether they should adjust their marketing plans for the remainder of the year.
The answer is an absolute YES! Don’t confuse your plans with your strategy. Your marketing strategy may stay the same, but your plans will need adjusting. Lockdowns are likely to be extended to flatten the curve of new COVID-19 cases. Now more than ever, it’s critical to stay in touch with existing clients and leverage all opportunities to extend your reach. See this time as laying a foundation that will reach deep and wide. What you do now will determine how strong your position will be when our nation starts rebuilding this economy.
Let me explain. We’ve always followed a relatively linear process of client conversion. Starting with attracting prospects to our sales funnel, engaging them, and finally converting them into new clients. We were in the driver’s seat, and the prospect took on a more passive role. In the current climate, this linear process has been disrupted. Clients are asking questions, and they’re searching for answers online. Many of them are spending hours doing research, making phone calls, and gathering information. They’re researching financial advisors, financial products, investment mechanisms, market movements, and more. They just want comfort and confirmation that they and their loved ones will be okay after all this. That their investments and related matters are structured properly and they’re getting good, if not great, advice, guidance, and reassurance from their financial advisor. Taking matters into their own hands, so to speak. Your social media marketing plans must change to be relevant to these home-bound researchers, giving them the comfort, confirmation, and reassurance that you are the right person for them going forward.
Let’s look at 5 practical steps you can take now to adjust your marketing plans:
- Repurpose and update all content to be relevant now. If you have preplanned content loaded in your social media scheduling tool for months in advance, then radically adjust or cancel it. You’ll find that most of the content won’t be relevant right now. Generic topics and messaging will be perceived as inappropriate or out of touch. Even the graphics you have selected may have to change. Incorporate images of people in home offices and home settings.
- Be more agile in your messaging. Update your website and social media channels with an announcement feed or post. You can pin announcements to the top of your Facebook Page for ease of viewing. These would contain priority messaging. For example, the steps you have taken to continue working for your clients and updates on general topics of interest, as well as some specific topics, such as news related to COVID-19 in your area and beyond that may impact them.
- Position yourself as the expert. Link essential sites with the latest financial stats and market information to your website. Position yourself as a one-stop-shop where people can find facts, advice, and answers.
- Increase the frequency of your posts. Twitter is helpful during this time because of the vast reach you can achieve. View it as casting a net very wide. It’s great for creating awareness of your services. I’m not suggesting you over-post or bombard people just for the sake of doing it. The key here is relevancy and sharing the latest information. Drive engagement through social listening and being more responsive. You can amplify your authority significantly by sharing informative and educational content on LinkedIn and Facebook too.
- Setup virtual meeting capability. If you haven’t already done so, make virtual meetings your new way to communicate with prospects and clients one-on-one or in groups. Hopefully, they will share their video, so you can see their expressions and reactions as you talk together. In any case share your video, so they’ll see you, which is even more important. It will give them more confidence in you and build trust. So, in virtual meetings always use video calls, as this is the closest you can get to an actual face-to-face meeting. You can schedule meetings with a client or prospect or a group of clients or prospects. If you choose a group meeting, make sure the topic is general in nature and relevant to all. Typically, the best type of meeting would be a remote consultation or Q&A session with you, the latter being usable for an individual or a group.
View yourself as a control tower for sharing information that will keep your audience informed and up to date. It will require more research and faster turnaround times to package relevant content, but it will position you as the advisor of choice for your clients, as well as for the ideal prospects you’ll get to know; maybe even some advisor’s client who’s dissatisfied with the service and support they’re presently receiving. Be the voice of empathy, courage, and encouragement – this is what will differentiate you from your competition.
Remember this is a time of upheaval and change. Be ready to help anyone who reaches out to you when they need help – no matter what; it will pay dividends even if it’s just being there for people in need.
What’s your biggest marketing problem? If it is getting high-value leads let us help; that is what we do! Before you lose another ideal client get this and other issues resolved today by going to my website, socialmerlin.com, or click the link here now. You can also ask a question, make a comment or just get more information, and I will personally respond to you super-fast. Thanks, be safe and see you next week.